Can I place a STOP Payment at a CO-OP Shared Branching location?

A CO-OP Shared Branching Outlet CANNOT accept a stop payment request on your checking account. YOU MUST CONTACT YOUR OWN CREDIT UNION. If you need to place a stop payment on a check you obtained from the CO-OP Shared Branching Outlet such as a cashier’s check, money order or official check, you must contact the CO-OP Shared Branching Outlet where you obtained the check. There will be a waiting period not to exceed 90 days before funds can be released. You may be required to complete an indemnity agreement. Please refer to the Member Fee Schedule.